Friendly Schools is the first anti-bullying initiative for schools developed through extensive research with Australian children and adolescents. It is recognised nationally and internationally as a comprehensive, evidence-based framework that can reduce bullying behaviour. The Friendly Schools initiative has been designed to align with both the Australian Curriculum and the National Safe Schools Framework.
Friendly School Plus was introduced to Monash School in 2016 and is embedded throughout our everyday teaching and is aligned with our school values. Our teaching and learning programs focus on developing and practising important social and emotional understandings and skills. These understandings and skills are grouped into five key areas:
- Self-awareness skills help our students to recognise and understand their feelings and value their strengths and abilities.
- Self-management skills enable our students to handle and direct their emotions in appropriate ways.
- Social awareness skills help our students to be aware and respectful of the feelings and perspectives of others.
- Relationship skills aid our students in dealing positively with relationship problems and other social conflicts.
- Social decision-making skills allow our students to consider the consequences of their actions for themselves and others and make thoughtful, effective decisions.At Monash School, Friendly Schools Plus is explicitly taught from Preschool to Year 6. For more information please visit the friendlyschools.com.au.