The Education Directorate's vision is that all young people in the ACT learn, thrive and are equipped with the skills to lead fulfilling, productive and responsible lives. The Directorate values are honesty, excellence, fairness and respect. The vision and values are reflected through our school philosophy.
Our vision is that:
- All children are unique with individualised learning and developmental needs.
- Learning Environments foster differentiated learning, whereby students become equipped with developmentally appropriate knowledge, understandings and skills to lead fulfilling, productive and responsible lives.
- Child-centred, personalised learning is the key to authentic engagement.
- Children are active participants in their learning by investigating, constructing, creating and exploring their worlds through purposeful, planned and intentional learning experiences.
- Development of the whole child is achieved by meeting their academic, social and emotional needs, building resilient and global citizens of the future.
To provide high quality, child-centered, personalised learning in a nurturing, engaging environment that fosters a love of learning and prepares each student to meet the challenges of the future.
Monash is committed to:
- Providing high quality learning environments with passionate educators.
- Actively engaging students in their learning through inquiry-based investigations in conjunction with explicit and formalised instruction.
- Working in partnership with parents/carers to develop connected learning communities.
- Employing best practice across all key learning areas.
- Monash School Values embedded across all we do.
- Meeting the academic, social and emotional needs of our students.
- Preparing our students with the required skill set to aim for excellence and meet the challenges of the future.
Monash Preschool Statement of Philosophy
Framed by the Early Years Learning Framework, Inquiry Approach and Monash Primary School Values we believe:
Children are capable, curious explorers, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- children engaged in conversation and discussion
- children making decisions
- children inquiring together
- children playing indoors and outdoors
- children wondering, questioning and taking risks
- children interacting with each other and their educators
- children exploring and learning in responsive, vibrant, challenging learning environments thoughtfully designed and resourced with invitations to promote dispositions for learning such as curiosity, persistence, cooperation, imagination and confidence
- educators honouring children’s voice.
Learning is play based, intentional and collaborative, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- children actively constructing their own understandings
- long uninterrupted periods of learning
- educators interacting with children, researching, inquiring and co constructing learning
- learning environments resourced with open ended, high quality materials that invite and provoke curiosity, awe and possibility
- learning environments that foster risk, challenge, wonder, awe, creativity and imagination
- learning created together.
Educators are reflective, intentional curriculum decision makers, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- educators collaborating, supporting and challenging each other
- educators reflecting on practice
- educators listening, questioning and responding to children
- educators observing, recording and documenting children’s learning
- the vision, principles and practices of the Early Years Learning Framework in action.
Families are partners in learning, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- a welcoming and inclusive non judgmental environment
- valuing of expertise and knowledge and many ways of belonging, being and becoming
- educators spending time with families
- good, clear, respectful and reciprocal communication.
Monash is a connected, respectful community school, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- mutual respect between home and preschool
- local children walking and riding to preschool with siblings, parents and carers
- families helping each other
- proactive community engagement and a dynamic Community Hub
- preschool and school working together
- appreciation of the beautiful landscape and Indigenous heritage of Monash.