Monash Preschool Statement of Philosophy
Framed by the Early Years Learning Framework, Inquiry Approach and Monash Primary School Values we believe:
Children are capable, curious explorers, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- children engaged in conversation and discussion
- children making decisions
- children inquiring together
- children playing indoors and outdoors
- children wondering, questioning and taking risks
- children interacting with each other and their educators
- children exploring and learning in responsive, vibrant, challenging learning environments thoughtfully designed and resourced with invitations to promote dispositions for learning such as curiosity, persistence, cooperation, imagination and confidence
- educators honouring children’s voice.
Learning is play based, intentional and collaborative, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- children actively constructing their own understandings
- long uninterrupted periods of learning
- educators interacting with children, researching, inquiring and co constructing learning
- learning environments resourced with open ended, high quality materials that invite and provoke curiosity, awe and possibility
- learning environments that foster risk, challenge, wonder, awe, creativity and imagination
- learning created together.
Educators are reflective, intentional curriculum decision makers, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- educators collaborating, supporting and challenging each other
- educators reflecting on practice
- educators listening, questioning and responding to children
- educators observing, recording and documenting children’s learning
- the vision, principles and practices of the Early Years Learning Framework in action.
Families are partners in learning, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- a welcoming and inclusive non judgemental environment
- valuing of expertise and knowledge and many ways of belonging, being and becoming
- educators spending time with families
- good, clear, respectful and reciprocal communication.
Monash is a connected, respectful community school, every day at Monash Preschool you will see:
- mutual respect between home and preschool
- local children walking and riding to preschool with siblings, parents and carers
- families helping each other
- proactive community engagement and a dynamic Community Hub
- preschool and school working together
- appreciation of the beautiful landscape and Indigenous heritage of Monash.